Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Thu Jan 20 08:47:23 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 09:59 -0500, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
> >      7. Many Linux Distributors have become profitable this past year,
> >         some even emerged out of bankruptcy
>
> This can't be stressed enough.  There are still many people who believe
> there is no profitable business model for Free software; these people
> need to be corrected with some fresh facts.
>
> I also remember that many FOSS naysayers used to claim back in 2000-2001
> that Linux/FOSS  development would grind to a halt once the dotcom money
> finally evaporate.  Time to use some "I told you so" irony on them.

I can and have done so privately to quite a few I know.

Don Marti NOT being one of them.

> >     12. The NY Times has noticed FireFox.
>
> But it costed the community some $$$.

Actually, they noticed it before that Advertisement.

> > I am just wondering how other list members felt about 2004.
>
> I start freelancing last fall quite successfully.  I never received so
> many FOSS-related job offer than in 2004.  Either I am more
> professionnaly credible than I used to be, or there are simply more
> Linux/FOSS deployements happening.  I believe it's a combination of both.

I had a banner year for income.

I was very surprised about it, I do work part-time for someone else, 20
hours a week to get a benefits package I can manage to pay for. It
covers my whole family. $400 a month, but compared to equivalent without
the group package deal... $1550 a month for myself, spouse and two
children. That was 2 years ago already. I know it is up double digit
percentages since then.

By far the best year for personal earnings ever for me. Quite a number
of Admin/Installations/Fixings jobs, a few on other continents... most
in the Continental US though. Plus, a number of IRC/ML/Forums help out
at.

A good set of remote hands that can do what you tell them, is really all
I need beside a good set of remote eyes telling me results...
(cut-n-paste works mostly)

Yes, 2004 was a good FOSS year, so far IMNSHO, the best year.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup