Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@videotron.ca
Thu Jan 20 06:59:56 PST 2005

Greg Folkert wrote:
>      7. Many Linux Distributors have become profitable this past year,
>         some even emerged out of bankruptcy

This can't be stressed enough.  There are still many people who believe
there is no profitable business model for Free software; these people
need to be corrected with some fresh facts.

I also remember that many FOSS naysayers used to claim back in 2000-2001
that Linux/FOSS  development would grind to a halt once the dotcom money
finally evaporate.  Time to use some "I told you so" irony on them.

>     12. The NY Times has noticed FireFox.

But it costed the community some $$$.

> I am just wondering how other list members felt about 2004.

I start freelancing last fall quite successfully.  I never received so
many FOSS-related job offer than in 2004.  Either I am more
professionnaly credible than I used to be, or there are simply more
Linux/FOSS deployements happening.  I believe it's a combination of both.