[linux-elitists] Virtualization

Rob McGee list+Elite@nodns4.us
Thu Feb 24 08:16:18 PST 2005

On Thursday 24 February 2005 01:18, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> A lot of the "Windows point-and-drool crowd" do not have the
> potential to become kernel developers, no...

At the risk of being pedantic, I want to point out that fixation on the
kernel alone is wrong in the context of this discussion. There are
hundreds of other important projects.

> but what do these people
> do? They PAY MONEY for mass market distributions like Mandrake (and

Oh yes, agreed, *if* they pay the money. Money is a contribution,
absolutely. I should have been more explicit about that.

Some might not do it, though. I'm sure we've all seen them, be they on
LUG lists, Usenet or IRC. "STFU and pay for support!"

> they *don't* want to become kernel developers. They just want it to
> work, and that's why they don't want to deal with MS, and they're
> willing to pay money for an otherwise-free OS.

If so, yes, that's good.

> That money is then used by those companies to employ kernel
> developers and the like to make it possible for them to contribute
> more to The Community.

Right. And as always, many thanks to the distros who do this. It makes
the point that paying for a distro is perhaps one of the best ways for
a non-technical person to contribute: distro maintainers are looking at
The Big Picture and can see where other projects need help.

> Don't be so shortsighted.

It's my dirty spectacles ... <rub rub> there, that's better. :)
--
    Rob - /dev/rob0