[linux-elitists] Virtualization

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Wed Feb 23 23:18:21 PST 2005

On 23 Feb 2005 at 22:56:33, Rob McGee arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 22:34, Mike MacCana wrote:
> > More users = more apps, less shitty websites, better drivers, and
> > more developers (OSS and otherwise).
>
> To some extent, maybe, but a lot of the Windows point-and-drool crowd  do
> not have the potential to become contributing members of the free
> software community. They do have the potential to become leeches, leading
> to burned-out, frustrated developers who then become less available to
> the elite.

A lot of the "Windows point-and-drool crowd" do not have the potential to
become kernel developers, no... but what do these people do? They PAY MONEY
for mass market distributions like Mandrake (and Redhat, before Redhat told
that crowd to FOaD) *specifically* because they *don't* want to become
kernel developers. They just want it to work, and that's why they don't
want to deal with MS, and they're willing to pay money for an
otherwise-free OS.

That money is then used by those companies to employ kernel developers and
the like to make it possible for them to contribute more to The Community.

It also makes it easier to convince the IRS that their web site should
work with open source tools, because my Mom (and all her friends) already
called and complained that it didn't.

Don't be so shortsighted.

Later,
Paul