[linux-elitists] Virtualization

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Wed Feb 23 21:23:49 PST 2005

Rob McGee wrote:

>On Wednesday 23 February 2005 22:34, Mike MacCana wrote:
>

>>More users = more apps, less shitty websites, better drivers, and
>>more developers (OSS and otherwise).
>>

>To some extent, maybe, but a lot of the Windows point-and-drool crowd
>do not have the potential to become contributing members of the free
>software community.

Agreed, but I think overall it'll be a lot like the popularization and
commercialization of the internet. There were bad things that came about
from that - the death of Usenet, spam, scammers etc. - but a lot of
advantages too. I can get a connection cheaply from most places. Other
people have email addresses. There's a wider variety of better resources
available.

Overall, I think the benefits to the existing users has outweighed the
negative effects. The same will be true of Linux.

Mike