[linux-elitists] Virtualization

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Wed Feb 23 16:15:00 PST 2005

On 24 Feb 2005 at 10:50:07, Martin Pool arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> Well, no, some number of people find it useful without it, or consider it
> a good tradeoff not to need to mess with kernel modules.  As if there is
> any single value of "fast enough to be useful"...  For other people, any
> virtualization at all is too slow.

This is true; it's all a (subjective) values argument. I did not dispute
that QEmu doesn't require kernel modules (although, I was initially
wrong, and I admitted that)... just that if you want comparably useful
performance, their solution, too, requires kernel modules.

It's an engineering tradeoff.

> vmware is a fine product and I wish you all the best, but casting
> unsubstantiated slanders on the competition really does you no credit.

You should be careful here: I don't speak for VMware, so making a
connection between the company, the company's product, and/or the company's
position on anything and my statements is a logical flaw.

They certainly don't pay me enough to do the former.

I will say this, though (generally wrapping up my participation in this
thread): I find it interesting, as Don did, that all these open source
projects are working on virtualization these days.

It seems VMware has succeeded in proving that the use cases for such a
technology in the PC market aren't flawed.

Later,
Paul