[linux-elitists] How to kill Linux

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Wed Feb 23 15:57:18 PST 2005

Greg KH wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 05:49:58PM -0500, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
>

>>"The idea here would be to cut the driver layer out of Windows and attach it
>>to Linux directly. This would become MS-Linux. If Microsoft actually produced
>>an MS-Linux that was the standard Linux attached to the driver layer of
>>Windows, giving users full Plug and Play (PnP) support of all their
>>peripherals, nobody would buy any other Linux on the market.
>>

>Heh, no one must have told him that Linux does PnP just fine, as well as
>supporting more devices than Windows does :)

Indeed.

A test:
- Install dual boot Windows XP SP2 and Fedora.
- Remove hard disk.
- Insert into different machine and boot.

XP: about four reboots, and 20 minutes.
FC: none. Kernel loads the modules, Kudzu does the configuration.

>>That means tearing away the entire top of Linux from the driver layer-and that
>>would be MS-Linux. Users who needed to add the driver layers would be offered
>>the standard Linux driver package, which would be attached with a utility
>>program. The utility would sew the drivers back into Linux, resulting in an
>>OS that would be more or less the same as everyone else's."
>>

>Ah, like the current driver thunking layer
><http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/> that allows you to do just this
>today?  For free?

Or Captive NTFS. Or the USB thing I heard someone was developing a while
back.
The NT kernel API is pretty small and seems to be quite possible to
implement reliably.

Mike