[linux-elitists] Virtualization

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Wed Feb 23 15:50:07 PST 2005

On 23 Feb 2005, "J. Paul Reed" <preed@sigkill.com> wrote:
> > qemu doesn't require kernel modules, though apparently it does suffer
> > a performance hit as a result of being able to use less of the MMU.
>
> According to http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/kqemu-doc.html#SEC4:

When I said "doesn't require" I meant, y'know, "it's not required".

> So, apparently for QEmu to actually be... y'know... fast enough to be
> useful, you need to do the "kernel module shuffle."

Well, no, some number of people find it useful without it, or consider
it a good tradeoff not to need to mess with kernel modules.  As if
there is any single value of "fast enough to be useful"...  For other
people, any virtualization at all is too slow.

vmware is a fine product and I wish you all the best, but casting
unsubstantiated slanders on the competition really does you no credit.

--
Martin