[linux-elitists] Virtualization

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Wed Feb 23 15:24:16 PST 2005

Greg KH wrote:

>No, I complain as the vmware module taints my kenel

Ie, you don't get support from the Linux kernel mailing list. Did you
already use that though?

>requires a separate
>step to build from my normal kernel build process

As with any driver not in your distro's kernel, Open Source or not.

>, and if I load it into
>my kernel, I invalidate any and all support contracts I might have paid
>for

Depends who you're getting support from. One of the major FC cards
unfortunately uses a proprietary module. RH support can and does support
customers using it, although it does make their job more difficult.

>, and I can no longer ask for help with any kernel problems from
>anyone in the open source kernel community.

Depends who you're asking it from. Certainly not these cantankerous old
bastards tho ;^)

Mike