[linux-elitists] How to kill Linux

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Feb 23 15:16:42 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 05:49:58PM -0500, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> "The idea here would be to cut the driver layer out of Windows and attach it
> to Linux directly. This would become MS-Linux. If Microsoft actually produced
> an MS-Linux that was the standard Linux attached to the driver layer of
> Windows, giving users full Plug and Play (PnP) support of all their
> peripherals, nobody would buy any other Linux on the market.

Heh, no one must have told him that Linux does PnP just fine, as well as
supporting more devices than Windows does :)

> That means tearing away the entire top of Linux from the driver layer-and that
> would be MS-Linux. Users who needed to add the driver layers would be offered
> the standard Linux driver package, which would be attached with a utility
> program. The utility would sew the drivers back into Linux, resulting in an
> OS that would be more or less the same as everyone else's."

Ah, like the current driver thunking layer
<http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/> that allows you to do just this
today?  For free?  I don't see Linux disappearing anytime soon because
this layer already exists.  What I do see is lots of Windows drivers
blowing up the whole system as they try to do horrible things (huge
stack allocations, etc.)

Although it is quite nice to see that in some people's eyes, drivers are
the most important thing in an OS.

thanks,

greg k-h