[linux-elitists] How to kill Linux

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Wed Feb 23 14:49:58 PST 2005

http://www.pcmag.com/print_article2/0,2533,a=146348,00.asp

(Sorry guys, it seems they force you to the non-print version if you don't
have the right referrer, but it's only two pages so it's not that bad.)

While I don't think this will kill Linux in any way shape or form, I thought
the discussion it might generate here would be interesting.  With the
exception of some really cheap and/or really esoteric hardware, I find
hardware support on Linux adequate, if not plain old acceptable.

-A.

From the article:

"The idea here would be to cut the driver layer out of Windows and attach it
to Linux directly. This would become MS-Linux. If Microsoft actually produced
an MS-Linux that was the standard Linux attached to the driver layer of
Windows, giving users full Plug and Play (PnP) support of all their
peripherals, nobody would buy any other Linux on the market.

That means tearing away the entire top of Linux from the driver layer-and that
would be MS-Linux. Users who needed to add the driver layers would be offered
the standard Linux driver package, which would be attached with a utility
program. The utility would sew the drivers back into Linux, resulting in an
OS that would be more or less the same as everyone else's."