[linux-elitists] Virtualization

David O'Callaghan david.ocallaghan@cs.tcd.ie
Wed Feb 23 06:28:47 PST 2005

On 23/02/05 00:10, Mike MacCana wrote:
> J. Paul Reed wrote:
>> It's a valid design decision, but it relegates the app to "Wow. This is
>> nice for running multiple copies of... Linux. I could do that with UML."
>>
> Yeah. I can't see that much benefit to Xen over UML. But I haven't
> investigated or played with Xen much, and I've played with UML, met
> UMLDude and think he's very clever.

It performs better than UML for network and disk I/O, and OS stuff in
general. See http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/performance.html

In my own experience, running a moderately loaded UML instance on a
moderately loaded host system makes interactive performance on the UML
VM pretty sluggish. In the same situation Xen performs well.

David