[linux-elitists] Virtualization

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Wed Feb 23 03:51:36 PST 2005

On 23 Feb 2005 at 19:53:30, Martin Pool arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> > The fact of the matter is, if you're not running a virtualization platform
> > (a la ESX), and you're running a "hosted" virtualization product, you have
> > to do this. UML does it. Xen does it. VMware does it.
>
> qemu doesn't require kernel modules, though apparently it does suffer
> a performance hit as a result of being able to use less of the MMU.

According to http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/kqemu-doc.html#SEC4:

"If you use x86 Linux, the compilation of the QEMU Accelerator Kernel Module
(KQEMU) is automatically activated provided you have the necessary kernel
headers. If nonetheless the compilation fails, you can disable its
compilation with the `--disable-kqemu' configure option.

If you are using a 2.6 host kernel, then all the necessary kernel headers
should be already installed. If you are using a 2.4 kernel, then you should
verify that properly configured kernel sources are installed and compiled.
On a Redhat 9 distribution for example, the following must be done: ..."

So, apparently for QEmu to actually be... y'know... fast enough to be
useful, you need to do the "kernel module shuffle."

Not that I'm not complaining about QEmu... I'm just saying I don't see why
he's complaining about VMware, when the open source equivalent is either
comparable or (in the case of Xen) much worse.

Later,
Paul