[linux-elitists] Virtualization

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Wed Feb 23 00:53:30 PST 2005

On 23 Feb 2005, "J. Paul Reed" <preed@sigkill.com> wrote:

> > I mean the kernel modules that are necessary to load if you are using
> > Linux as the host os.  The ones that taint the kernel when loaded, and
> > drive you all crazy with every new kernel release as the different
> > kernel apis change all around you, with you all being helpless and
> > constantly playing catch up.  Quite fun to watch if you ask me.
>
> Ahh... and Xen is different how? Oh right... they just modify the whole
> damn kernel (and require you to patch your entire kernel every rev).
>
> The fact of the matter is, if you're not running a virtualization platform
> (a la ESX), and you're running a "hosted" virtualization product, you have
> to do this. UML does it. Xen does it. VMware does it.

qemu doesn't require kernel modules, though apparently it does suffer
a performance hit as a result of being able to use less of the MMU.

This is not to diss* VMWare, which is a fine and useful product, but I
agree that the kernel modules are one of the most annoying aspects.
Just a point of information.

--
Martin

[*] I wonder, is this going to set off the guy complaining about black
american vernacular?