[linux-elitists] Virtualization

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Wed Feb 23 00:46:03 PST 2005

On 22 Feb 2005 at 22:36:41, Greg KH arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> > > And if we do that, I see no reason why vmware can't use those drivers
> > > too, so they can finally drop their weird add-on kernel module that is a
> > > giant pain-in-the-butt for their users.
> >
> > Uhm. Which one?
>
> Heh, you are right, that should have been "modules", not "module".

There are multiple modules required for the Linux host installation and
multiple optional modules for a Linux guest installation.

And the "standard modules" you refer to Xen building have nothing to do
with the modules you're complaining about; they're building standard
drivers for guest OS installations, and you're talking about the host
installations.

> I mean the kernel modules that are necessary to load if you are using
> Linux as the host os.  The ones that taint the kernel when loaded, and
> drive you all crazy with every new kernel release as the different
> kernel apis change all around you, with you all being helpless and
> constantly playing catch up.  Quite fun to watch if you ask me.

Ahh... and Xen is different how? Oh right... they just modify the whole
damn kernel (and require you to patch your entire kernel every rev).

The fact of the matter is, if you're not running a virtualization platform
(a la ESX), and you're running a "hosted" virtualization product, you have
to do this. UML does it. Xen does it. VMware does it.

Lord only knows why you're complaining about it only when VMware does it
(and of course, glossing over the fact that all you have to do is recompile
the kernel modules when you install a new kernel... you know... LIKE EVERY
OTHER KERNEL MODULE YOU HAD TO RECOMPILE).

> ESX is the hacked up kernel that turns it into a hypervisor, right?
> 2.4.9 based from what I recall last I looked.

Thank you for proving my point.

The correct answer is ESX is its own, proprietary kernel that was developed
entirely in house, and has nothing to do with a 2.4.9 kernel.

Later,
Paul