[linux-elitists] Virtualization

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Tue Feb 22 22:36:41 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:13:05PM -0800, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2005 at 20:51:26, Greg KH arranged the bits on my disk to say:
>
> > And if we do that, I see no reason why vmware can't use those drivers
> > too, so they can finally drop their weird add-on kernel module that is a
> > giant pain-in-the-butt for their users.
>
> Uhm. Which one?

Heh, you are right, that should have been "modules", not "module".

> VMware Workstation presents a virtualized hardware platform that any
> standard Linux distro can use just fine.
>
> I ask because there are a lot of just-plain-wrong conceptions floating
> around about VMware-the-product-line (my favorite being "ESX is just giant
> kernel module for RedHat 7.2.")

I mean the kernel modules that are necessary to load if you are using
Linux as the host os.  The ones that taint the kernel when loaded, and
drive you all crazy with every new kernel release as the different
kernel apis change all around you, with you all being helpless and
constantly playing catch up.  Quite fun to watch if you ask me.

ESX is the hacked up kernel that turns it into a hypervisor, right?
2.4.9 based from what I recall last I looked.  Quite different from the
version of vmware that most everyone else here is used to using.

thanks,

greg k-h