[linux-elitists] Virtualization

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Tue Feb 22 18:53:35 PST 2005

On 23 Feb 2005 at 13:12:41, Mike MacCana arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> >I don't have a problem with it not being OSS, but VMware runs Windows at
> >decent speed, and it does things QEmu can't. Like persistent disk modes.
>
> QEmu supports copy on write disk images, which give you exactly this
> feature.

Someone else corrected me on that; I'd have to look at QEmu closer to see
if it's comparable to what Workstation does.

> In my opinion, though, VMWare workstation, on Linux, is living on
> borrowed time.

Main use (for better or worse) of Workstation on Linux: running Windows.

Main feature (for better or worse) Xen lacks (due to licensing): running
Windows.

So, you'll have to forgive me if I respectfully disagree.

On 23 Feb 2005 at 13:27:49, Mike MacCana arranged the bits on my disk to
say:

> Something I've always wanted to ask:
>
> * Has VMWare ever licensed the Windows source? Would it be possible to?
> Does VMWare intend to?

Now you're asking questions I can't answer... mostly because I don't *know*
the answer, and I'm unwilling to (officially) speculate.

I will say (and this is 100% my own opinion) it's unlikely due to the fact
that Microsoft's purchase of Connectix puts them in the same market, so it
does not benefit them to license the Windows source code to a direct
competitor.

> * Do you think Microsoft will ever port Windows to run directly inside a
> (re-written) successor to Virtual Server?

Yes.

But again, that's my personal opinion (because that would only make good
business sense for Microsoft) and NOT the opinion of my employer.

Later,
Paul