[linux-elitists] Virtualization

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Tue Feb 22 17:12:32 PST 2005

On 23 Feb 2005 at 00:58:05, Adam Sampson arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> They've apparently got Windows ported to it; they just can't release
> it owing to the license.

Right... which makes it useless.

> The research group I'm in is currently looking at Xen because it
> should make a pretty nice environment for developing an OS: it
> provides standard virtual devices, so we can just write one set of
> network/video/disk drivers

That's another use of VMs: you get a standardized platform.

> They've got some cool-looking image migration stuff too (a colleague
> described moving a Linux system playing video between PCs without
> noticable interruption). Yes, it's definitely cheating, but it's pretty
> non-intrusive cheating, and the result is actually useful...

Not if you're trying to move all your physical Windows file/print/Exchange
servers to VMs.

And it's depressing how many companies want to do exactly that.

Later,
Paul