[linux-elitists] Virtualization

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Tue Feb 22 16:30:44 PST 2005

On 23 Feb 2005 at 11:10:25, Mike MacCana arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> I don't think that's cheating. I think it's not doing a hack that's
> necessary for Windows, but unnecessary for Linux.
>
> But that's obviously just a matter of perspective.

It is, and I can appreciate the other side.

I'm just saying, the state of the world today is: if it doesn't run [on]
Windows, it's less useful. Xen doesn't run Windows.

So, especially from a commercial perspective, it's less useful. I don't
agree with that state of the world, but it is what it is.

And when you look at what Xen did to get decent performance on Windows,
they "cheated" in that they did something that was completely useless for
anyone else, because Microsoft['s license] won't allow them to distribute
that work (and now, has a commercial reason for ensuring that Xen doesn't
succeed).

> Paul, you might wanna check out QEmu's accelerator module (if you don't
> mind something that's not OSS, but will be if someone pays its coder some
> money already). Its runs Windows at decent speed.

I don't have a problem with it not being OSS, but VMware runs Windows at
decent speed, and it does things QEmu can't. Like persistent disk modes.
Which mean that I get a "fresh" copy of Windows everytime I boot the VM, so
it really doesn't matter what virus I may get while I'm using it.

I probably should reveal, BTW: I work for VMware.

And I didn't really appreciate the technology (ESX especially) until I
started using it daily.

Later,
Paul