[linux-elitists] Virtualization

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 16:10:25 PST 2005

J. Paul Reed wrote:

>On 23 Feb 2005 at 10:32:00, Mike MacCana arranged the bits on my disk to say:
>

>That's actually one reason I dislike Xen; their technology is mostly
>useless, because they "cheat" by modifying the operating system to make it
>play well in a VM (hence, no Windows support).

I don't think that's cheating. I think it's not doing a hack that's
necessary for Windows, but unnecessary for Linux.

But that's obviously just a matter of perspective.

>It's a valid design decision, but it relegates the app to "Wow. This is
>nice for running multiple copies of... Linux. I could do that with UML."

Yeah. I can't see that much benefit to Xen over UML. But I haven't
investigated or played with Xen much, and I've played with UML, met
UMLDude and think he's very clever.

/me goes off to investigate Xen.

>The need ... to run Windows ... sucks.
>
>Having said that, I've found that VMs actually make using Windows...
>well... usable (every few times I need to open a Word doc that OpenOffice
>chokes on).

Paul, you might wanna check out QEmu's accelerator module (if you don't
mind something that's not OSS, but will be if someone pays its coder
some money already). Its runs Windows at decent speed.

Mike