[linux-elitists] Virtualization

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Tue Feb 22 16:03:38 PST 2005

On 23 Feb 2005 at 10:32:00, Mike MacCana arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> Actually, the one thing I don't like about virtualization is VMWare. A
> great app, but only necessary because Windows isn't ported to any kind of
> VM.

Well... and they... y'know... did the whole virtual-machine-on-x86-thing
first.

That's actually one reason I dislike Xen; their technology is mostly
useless, because they "cheat" by modifying the operating system to make it
play well in a VM (hence, no Windows support).

It's a valid design decision, but it relegates the app to "Wow. This is
nice for running multiple copies of... Linux. I could do that with UML."

> The need for virtualized CPUs to run Windows on sucks.

The need ... to run Windows ... sucks.

Having said that, I've found that VMs actually make using Windows...
well... usable (every few times I need to open a Word doc that OpenOffice
chokes on).

Later,
Paul