[linux-elitists] Virtualization

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Tue Feb 22 15:15:55 PST 2005

On 22 Feb 2005 at 08:51:49, Don Marti arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> Virtualization was a big buzzword at LinuxWorld,
> and I'm starting to suspect it's a load of crap.
>
> Why would you partition a big expensive server into
> the equivalent of several small cheap servers that
> add up to a fraction of the big server's price?
>
> And why would you license a fancy virtualization
> layer when you could just buy blade servers?
>
> Real or virtual, you still need to manage the servers
> -- so why not just put in good management software
> (including power management, which you really need for
> big blade installations) and skip the virtualization
> malarkey?

All of these use cases ignore the "cooler" ("more practical," really) uses
of VMs, like zero-downtime hardware maintenance, instant backups, instant
provisioning, implementing enforceable security policies, and stuff like
that.

Granted, server consolidation, increased utilization, and smaller hardware
maintenance budgets are attractive, but past those (compelling, to most
companies, it would seem) arguments, it's more about the stuff above.

Sorta like Linux and Apache aren't really the compelling applications of
open source after awhile... it's that they form a solid platform to do neat
things with... as it is with virtualization.

Later,
Paul