[linux-elitists] Virtualization

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue Feb 22 14:22:01 PST 2005

<quote who="Don Marti">

> Virtualization was a big buzzword at LinuxWorld, and I'm starting to
> suspect it's a load of crap.
>
> Why would you partition a big expensive server into the equivalent of
> several small cheap servers that add up to a fraction of the big server's
> price?
>
> And why would you license a fancy virtualization layer when you could just
> buy blade servers?

I'd fork out $MEGABUCKS per year to be absolutely sure that my Big Mainframe
just kept going and going, instead of pissfarting around supporting racks of
cheap commodity boxes.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: April 18th-23rd                    http://linux.conf.au/

         "Spend your 'different points' wisely." - Havoc Pennington