[linux-elitists] Virtualization

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Tue Feb 22 11:18:16 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 08:51:49AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:

> And why would you license a fancy virtualization
> layer when you could just buy blade servers?

"license"?  Who would pay for something when companies are giving it
away for free?  Look at all of the money that's poring into Xen.  Big
names are pushing it, and it's free.  Should be showing up in a distro
near you anyday now, if it's not already there...

> Real or virtual, you still need to manage the servers
> -- so why not just put in good management software
> (including power management, which you really need for
> big blade installations) and skip the virtualization
> malarkey?

I've sat in meetings with chip vendors that show their long timelines
with bigger and faster processors with more and more "cores" on a chip.
And then 10 minutes later they tout the fact that they want to carve
these big chips up into tiny smaller, "virtual" machines to make it
easier for people to use them.  Makes me wonder if people really want to

Personally I think this is just a way to sell bigger boxes, and yet not
worry about writing your application so it can actually scale up to a 8
or 16 processor machine.

Oh and the virtual hosting people really like it, but that isn't a huge
market from what I can tell (in contrast to IT departments everywhere.)

thanks,

greg k-h