[linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 21 04:21:40 PST 2005

on Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:32:31AM -0500, Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com) wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 22:42 -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> >   - The Vint Cerfs of the world.  Great quote from the recent
> >     presidential election, Bill Maher, talking to Ralph Nader:
> >     "I'm giving this [picture of O.J. Simpson] to remind you that
> >     someone can have a lifetime of being considered a hero and then ruin
> >     it because of one thing." You can't ride your laurels forever.
>
> One final question, as I think this horse is just about ready to
> serve:
>
> What has Cerf done?

Well, there are certainly errors of omission.  Which is to say, what
he's not done.  His statements on what to do about the spam problem
(particularly the "delete key" comment I dug up) show a level of
disingenuity not becoming him.  As for specific actions he's taken to
defend or further spam at MCI, I have no knowledge.

> I know what MCI has done (and I'm not sure if I agree with them or
> not), but what has Cerf done? If all he's done is being an executive
> of MCI, then I think what you say above rings a touch hollow.

Y'know, I believe in standing up for what I believe in, and standing
against what I don't believe in.  I've done a few things in my life of
which I'm not particularly proud, and I'm trying like hell to avoid
doing so again.

> After all, no one's going after the ACM for honoring MCI, and unless
> this particular call was made by Cerf, going after him is a choice
> made only because he's an accessible target.
>
> Oh, and BTW, I had no idea Bill Maher had said that to Nader. Since a)
> Ralph Nader has never done anything that I'm aware of but stand up for
> what he believes in and b) Maher was comparing his actions to murder, I
> think someone should kick Maher in the shin REALLY hard.

Um.  In context it was meant both humerously and as hyperbole.  I heard
the comment in an interview Maher gave Terry Gross on Fresh Air (NPR
program).  I also think it makes the point well.   Yes, sometimes a
lifetime of good works *can* be undone in a split second.   I've come
damned close to killing myself for same, I've seen it happen to others.

The basic principle comes down to being responsible for your actions, OR
inactions.

As someone who also believes Nader has done much good, who's voted for
him, who's participated in Nader events, and who thinks Nader had (and
has) some very good points (which the Democrats were idiots to ignore in
the past election), I wished (and expressed same) that he'd chosen a
different way of expressing himself.  If you'll look at election returns
in several borderline states (IA, NM, OH, FL, WA), you'll find that
Nader's share of the vote, slim as it was (and it _was_ much smaller
than 2000), were close to the margin of victory in same.

Peace.

    > That's nice, but totally beside the point.
    If you put it on top, it will just fall off.
    - Nick Moffitt strikes again.