[linux-elitists] FOSSTEC?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Sat Feb 19 14:48:25 PST 2005

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 02:12:01PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Is FOSSTEC spamming willy-nilly (supposedly I have a PhD), or is it a
> reputable FOSS conference?
>
>   http://www.iiisci.org/fosstec05/website/default.asp

It's spam.  Here's a response I got from another mailing list about the
same topic (and yeah, I got the same invite.)

thanks,

greg k-h

------------------

"Peter G. Neumann" <neumann@csl.sri.com> writes:

> This list has been fairly quiet lately.
> I thought this might be a relevant item.
>
>                 ---------------
>
> From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Prof._Belkis_S=E1nchez=22?=" <fosstec05@iiis.org>
> Subject: Inviting you to participate in FOSSTEC 2005
> Date: 18 Feb 2005 12:49:17 -0400
>
> We are sorry to take a bit of your valuable time. However, we think it
> would be very important for you to be informed that we have extended both
> the paper submission and the acceptance notification deadlines for FOSSTEC
> '05. Consequently, we are sending you once again the invitation to
> participate in FOSSTEC '05, as follows.
>
> On behalf of the Organizing Committee of The International Symposium on
> Free/Open Source Software, Technologies and Content (FOSSTEC '05) which is
> being organized in the context of the 9th World Multi-Conference on
> Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, to be held in Orlando, Florida, on
> July 10-13, 2005.

Please be aware that this is NOT a legitimate conference, and people
would be well advised not to submit serious papers.  Consider the
following warning signs:

  * They have repeatedly refused requests to remove me from their
    mailing list.

  * The conference requires authors to pay a $390 "fee" before the
    camera-ready dealine.

  * You have to pay this fee once for each paper and author.  So if
    one person publishes two papers, that person has to pay two
    registration fees.  Graciously, the "extra page fee" is only
    assessed to one author per paper, however.

  * They also appear to reserve the right to charge for
    "post-conference services... at a rate of US$20 per staff hour
    required to elaborate such a requirement, with a minimum of
    US$10."

  * The web site does not even list program committee members'
    affiliations or contact information, other than country.  See for
    yourself at:
        http://www.iiisci.org/fosstec05/website/ProgramCommitte.asp

  * Can you even figure out at which school "Prof. Belkis Sánchez
    (USA)" who emailed you teaches, and what subject?  If not, that's
    obviously pretty sketchy.

  * Nagib Callaos, a notorious spammer, is actually on the program
    committee himself!

  * The conference web site is hosted by iiisci.org, a well-known
    source of spam.

  * In an attempt to appear legitimate, the call for papers lists
    multiple journals and organizations as sponsors, but really they
    are all aliases for the same notorious spam organization:
       - Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics: JSCI
       - International Institute of Informatics and Systemics (IIIS)
       - International Institute of Informatics and Cybernetics (IIIC)
       - Revista Ibero-Americana de Sistemas, Informática y Cibernética

  * The conference is held in conjunction with WMSCI, which
    more-or-less fraudulently claims to be a peer reviewed conference
    while actually just begging for anything to publish.

David