[linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam

Tilghman Lesher zgp-org@the-tilghman.com
Sat Feb 19 08:42:25 PST 2005

On Saturday 19 February 2005 08:35, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> However, it WAS a side point, as they're already punitively listing
> IPs that have never issued spam. Thus, I'm forced to stop using
> them. It's really that simple, and if you like the way they do
> things, you are of course, welcome to keep using them (I'll keep
> using them via SA... though I might lower the score a touch).

While that's essentially true, I think you're ignoring past history:
spammers at one time would gain a new netblock and immediately
begin spamming from that netblock.  If the anti-spam community has
learned to immediately block those new IP blocks _before_ the spammers
get a spam machine actively flowing, what's wrong with that?  Those
who do not learn from history...

In fact, might the preemptive block perhaps, in itself, prevent the
spammers from using that netblock (as they are no doubt aware of the
antispam community's response and are actively working to overcome
it)?  Might the spammers once again start using the netblocks to send
spam, if they became aware that the antispam community stopped
preemptively blocking those netblocks?

The facts are that efforts to stop spam are and always have been an
arms race:  blocking the low-hanging fruit of known spammer-controlled
netblocks was an early step.  The fact that current efforts now come
down to essentially whack-a-mole does not negate the effectiveness of
earlier efforts.

-Tilghman