[linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Sat Feb 19 06:47:49 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 11:58 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > It costs money and
> > time, but what's so amazingly bad that it gets us this worked up?
>
> Let's see, economic damage in double-digit G$ range, destruction of a
> communication channel other people built and hundreds of millions use,
> hacking into people's machines and spying on their users, stealing from their
> bank accounts. Yep, what's so bad about that?

You're being hyperbolic. Nothing has been destroyed (quite the opposite,
in fact).

However, I do agree that spammers are, on average, a nasty lot that I'd
like to see delt with by legal means. It's not that these are the good
guys. I do think we go WAY overboard in responding when we get actively
mad at spammers though.

> I don't want them dead. I want them broke, and in jail. And stay away from
> any computers, for years, on probation.

Probably reasonable, and that can be done through law enforcement,
rather than publicly attacking Vint Cerf while he's receiving well-
earned recognition for getting us to the point that we could have this
debate.

Thanks for replying to what I actually said, though. I appreciate that.