[linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sat Feb 19 02:58:21 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 11:39:58PM -0500, Aaron Sherman wrote:

> I understand. I felt the same way once. Then I heard a friend talking
> about spammers. I heard him say things like "I want them all dead," and
> I thought about it. Other than making me look at the word "penis" more
> often than I'd like, what exactly have these people done to warrant such
> ire? When did we decide that mail server admin would be light, happy fun
> if only it weren't for the spam? Sure it's not good. It costs money and
> time, but what's so amazingly bad that it gets us this worked up?

Let's see, economic damage in double-digit G$ range, destruction of a
communication channel other people built and hundreds of millions use,
hacking into people's machines and spying on their users, stealing from their
bank accounts. Yep, what's so bad about that?

I don't want them dead. I want them broke, and in jail. And stay away from
any computers, for years, on probation.