[linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 18 19:26:49 PST 2005

on Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:53:17PM -0500, Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com) wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 23:30, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > Spamhaus's dossier on MCI is here:
> [...]
> >     http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL24036
> >
> >     157.130.205.94/32 is listed on the Register Of Known Spam Operations
> >     (ROKSO) database as being assigned to, under the control of, or
> >     providing service to a known professional spam operation run by Alan
> >     Ralsky.
>
> Damn. I was using Spamhaus specifically because they only listed people
> who were known to originate spam (either because they were zombies (XBL)
> or spam sources (SBL)). Either I was wrong, or they've changed their
> policy to list groups punitively.

I believe you're misunderstanding how Spamhaus works.

The SBL itself *is* just known spam-source IPs.  SpamCop's DNSBL is
similar.

However, in addition to this, Spamhaus provides *aggregate* level
information on ISPs and KSOs, to provide useful information to those
trying to address spam at a higher level.

Suggest you read Spamhaus's specs _with_ comprehension.

> I'm so tired of the punitive responses of listing those "providing
> service", "advertized by spam", netblocks with innocent users, netblocks
> which are "not valid mail sources" according to whatever criteria, etc.
> I just want a clean, well-maintained, timely list of IPs that have
> connected to SMTP ports and delivered spam. I'll even pay for it!

You're confusing Spamhaus with SPEWS.

Peace.

    Does your dad know what you want to do to his computer?
    - Seen on debian-user