[linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam

Rob McGee list+Elite@nodns4.us
Fri Feb 18 15:08:47 PST 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 12:53, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> criteria, etc. I just want a clean, well-maintained, timely list of
> IPs that have connected to SMTP ports and delivered spam. I'll even
> pay for it!

Oh, I should have mentioned my experience with one pay service. My
/dev/boss was formerly affiliated with MailDeflector. Some of their
features sound good, but oh boy, there's something seriously wrong in
the code.

They have a bot which takes contributions from any and all subscribers.
I've not see the code, but judging from some of the listed IP's (in
many unassigned and reserved netblocks) I think this bot must not be
smart enough to determine which Received: header is valid and which is
a fake.

MailDeflector is useless, avoid. Worse than useless: once we switched
away from it, false positives became very rare. The few I've seen since
then were blocked by virtue of misconfigured mailers or DNS. They call,
we whitelist, customer is accepting of this level of false positives
and happy with the reduction in spam.
--
    Rob - /dev/rob0