[linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Fri Feb 18 12:43:43 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 15:05, Vince Hoang wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:53:17PM -0500, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> > Damn. I was using Spamhaus specifically because they only
> > listed people who were known to originate spam (either because
> > they were zombies (XBL) or spam sources (SBL)). Either I
> > was wrong, or they've changed their policy to list groups
> > punitively.
>
> Spamhaus offers you the choice of SBL, XBL, or both. The perps
> belonging to ROKSO are only listed in the SBL.

Yes, I know this, but the SBL is a combination of four classes of
"offender", as shown here:

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl-rationale.html

Only the first criteria is "Spammers sending bulk email verified to be
unsolicited (spam) directly from static IPs under the spammer's
control."

Ideally you want to be able to block all XBL hosts and the first type of
SBL host. There's no reason, other than political retribution against
spammers, to block the other three classes. They are not spam sources,
and so you don't have to block them to eliminate your spam. In fact,
blocking them won't reduce your spam load by a single message.

--
☎ 781-324-3772
✉ ajs@ajs.comhttp://www.ajs.com/~ajs