[linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Fri Feb 18 10:53:17 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 23:30, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> Spamhaus's dossier on MCI is here:
[...]
>     http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL24036
>
>     157.130.205.94/32 is listed on the Register Of Known Spam Operations
>     (ROKSO) database as being assigned to, under the control of, or
>     providing service to a known professional spam operation run by Alan
>     Ralsky.

Damn. I was using Spamhaus specifically because they only listed people
who were known to originate spam (either because they were zombies (XBL)
or spam sources (SBL)). Either I was wrong, or they've changed their
policy to list groups punitively.

So, I'm back to the drawing board. Does anyone know of a DNSBL that ONLY
lists IPs that are known to be actively originating bulk UCE? I really
do want to be able to get legitimate mail, even if it's from an email
list retailer, spam software vendor, spammer's home system, a child
molester, delinquent dad, or someone who speaks out against the
government. I just want to shut off the pipe when people demonstrate
that they are willing to treat their pipe as a firehose.

I'm so tired of the punitive responses of listing those "providing
service", "advertized by spam", netblocks with innocent users, netblocks
which are "not valid mail sources" according to whatever criteria, etc.
I just want a clean, well-maintained, timely list of IPs that have
connected to SMTP ports and delivered spam. I'll even pay for it!

--
☎ 781-324-3772
✉ ajs@ajs.comhttp://www.ajs.com/~ajs