[linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Thu Feb 17 20:17:58 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 09:37 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 17 Feb 2005, Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com> wrote:
> > explain to me exactly what
> > this company is doing. MCI claimed "spamware [is not] a violation of its
> > terms of service"... what does that mean? Is this company sending out
> > UCE in bulk, originating from MCI IPs?

> No, as I understand it they are hosting a site, send-safe, that sells
> software for sending spam, and also access to a list of zombie
> machines through which it may be sent.
[...]
> I think I would rather see a criminal case against send-safe and MCI
> for aiding violations of unauthorized intrusion and computer crime
> laws.

Huh, well certainly I'd love to see a case against send-safe, assuming
they do indeed sell spamming software and zombie lists. But, I'm stunned
that people are pushing MCI to have send-safe removed. If they're not
spamming, then they're just scumbags, not violators of MCI's ToS. No
vendor should be required to take action against a customer for criminal
behavior without due process. None. Ever.

Pointing the FBI at them might make sense, but trying to drag Cerf's
name through the mud in a political move through ACM seems damn near
worse than spam in the first place. If we have to sink to those levels
to combat spam, then have we gained anything in the fight? And do you
try to ruin Cerf's day just because he's being honored for a major
contribution to modern technology?

How sad.