[linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Thu Feb 17 14:26:04 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 17:07, Rob McGee wrote:

> http://spamkings.oreilly.com/archives/2005/02/protest_brewing.html

> Vinton G. Cerf, Senior Executive VP of MCI and a co-creator of the
> TCP/IP protocol suite, is scheduled to be honoured for that creation by
> the ACM ( http://www.acm.org/ ) in June. Dr. Cerf has paid lip service
> to anti-spam efforts whilst his company provides the largest source of
> "bullet-proof" spam hosting on the planet. When confronted, Cerf makes
> lame excuses for this inexcusable corporate behaviour.

Neither the article nor the mail you sent have any specifics. Assume I
don't know anything, but am unwilling to simply be a gun, pointed at any
Internet-related personality and fired.... explain to me exactly what
this company is doing. MCI claimed "spamware [is not] a violation of its
terms of service"... what does that mean? Is this company sending out
UCE in bulk, originating from MCI IPs? If so, I can't imagine why MCI
isn't terminating their contract, as it is a clear violation of the ToS.

Does anyone have a raw quote from Cerf or MCI reps explaining their
position?

--
☎ 781-324-3772
✉ ajs@ajs.comhttp://www.ajs.com/~ajs