[linux-elitists] Re: [IRR] Brazil closing the Gates

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 4 23:41:48 PST 2005

on Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 05:37:42PM -0800, Teh Entar-Nick (nick@teh.entar.net) wrote:
> begin  Don Marti  quotation:
> > The "download and hire" method of development beats sending license
> > payments out of the country even before you start counting the
> > economic multiplier effects of those 26 people spending the money
> > locally.
>
> 	This was what I thought in 1998 would be the most compelling
> reason for Europe to move to Free Software.  I never counted on the
> political entanglement with the US to be so strong.

The EU isn't uniform.  I posted SecuritySpace's webserver survey which
breaks out by country.  English-speaking nations (US, CA, UK, AU, NZ)
have far higher IIS penetration than non-English, with DE and JP being
particularly strong in favoring Apache.  Italy is curiously strong in
favoring Microsoft.  Perhaps it's the familiarity with organized crime.

    http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/index.html

Peace.

    In vain the net is spread in the sight of the bird.