Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 4 18:18:36 PST 2005

Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

> Rick:  You know I respect both your experience and opinion greatly.  I
> take exception to what seems to be your line of reasoning here.
>
> There's a quote I've been running in my sig file for a while:
>
>     We're not going to fix this by getting the pilots to be more careful.
>     - Aviation industry approach to systemic improvement.

Of course, airliners are perfectly safe, as the three surviving members
of my immediate family, and all but two of our family's closest friends,
are able to testify.

> Similarly, we're not going to solve ongoing system security / network
> hygiene issues by expecting users to be more careful ... or vendors more
> clueful.  People make this shit.  They make it under all sorts of
> twisted objectives and contradictory objects (ship it now, ship it
> right, beat the competition...).

Karsten --

I'm looking in vain for the part where you take issue with something I
said.  You seem to be attempting strenously to disagree with someone.
But I'm not sure whom.

> Crap systems, based on legacy MS Windows, GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, QNX,
> whatever, are possible.

Didn't I just say that?  I'm quite sure I did.

> Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away.

And I'm sure you're going to get around to tell me who's ignoring what
problem.

Meanwhile, the question (to Aaron Burt) was:  "You think that
generalises to embedded systems generally?  Doubt it."  If you purport
to disagree, I'm sure you'll get around to talking about that,
eventually.

> If this isn't the conversation you were planning on engaging in, you
> _might_ consider disengaging in it.

Well, suits me fine, but I'm really not sure what conversation you're
speaking of.