Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 4 17:52:59 PST 2005

on Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:19:39PM -0800, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting Aaron Burt (aaron@bavariati.org):
>
> > Why, yes.  A Friend Of Mine is working for a small company that's
> > developing a Linux-based appliance running on a slightly-disguised PC.
> > An engineer was picked more-or-less at random to put together the base
> > system, so he installed a standard desktop distro and then randomly
> > disabled features and installed tarballs ("packages?  what're those?")
> > until it more-or-less worked.  Needless to say, the firewall was one
> > of the first features to go, and automated updates are out of the
> > question.
>
> Which shows that there's still some market for cheap throwaway sh__ that
> breaks.  PNG at 11.
>
> You think that generalises to embedded systems generally?  Doubt it.

Rick:  You know I respect both your experience and opinion greatly.  I
take exception to what seems to be your line of reasoning here.

There's a quote I've been running in my sig file for a while:

    We're not going to fix this by getting the pilots to be more careful.
    - Aviation industry approach to systemic improvement.

Similarly, we're not going to solve ongoing system security / network
hygiene issues by expecting users to be more careful ... or vendors more
clueful.  People make this shit.  They make it under all sorts of
twisted objectives and contradictory objects (ship it now, ship it
right, beat the competition...).

Crap systems, based on legacy MS Windows, GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, QNX,
whatever, are possible.  Ultimately dealing with them is probably going
to require IDS/VDS systems actively scanning for either vulnerable or
compromised systems.

Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away.

If this isn't the conversation you were planning on engaging in, you
_might_ consider disengaging in it.

Peace.

    God never sends mouths but He sends meat.