[linux-elitists] Re: [IRR] Brazil closing the Gates

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Feb 4 14:59:52 PST 2005

MSFT and free software are roughly competitive,
TCO-wise, if you're paying US IT salaries.  (Yes,
US IT workers, you still make more money for being
qualified in Linux.)  But here are some interesting
numbers from Brazil for a vertical app.

  By adopting free software and developing SAGU,
  Univates has saved almost $200,000 US in software
  licenses. It further saves $70,000 US every year
  as it doesn't need to buy new licenses or upgrades
  when installing new computers or increasing the user
  base. The number of students in Univates has grown
  from a little less than 2,000 in 1999 to more than
  7,500 in 2003. The savings always have been more
  than enough to cover the payroll of the whole IT
  department, now employing 26 people.

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7081

The "download and hire" method of development beats
sending license payments out of the country even
before you start counting the economic multiplier
effects of those 26 people spending the money locally.

MSFT can offer the "we'll build an R&D center in your
country and make you a net exporter of proprietary
software too" deal, but I think the money-making
upline spots in that chain letter scheme are full.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/