Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Fri Feb 4 14:44:15 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:34:20AM -1000, Jim Thompson wrote:

> Ya know, I just finished 'fixing' an "Unmaintained SuSe box" (notebook)
> for a friend (where others had failed, or hadn't had the time, or whatever).

I've been doing lots of SLES (8 and 9, both x86 and x86_64) lately.
Support's good (but still SuSE support gave up on SLES8 install on an Athlon64
box very quickly -- it'd require rolling a custom kernel). I don't like the
green critter at all. Neither Fedora; I wind up patching FC3 daily, literally so.
Frequently some 10 patches daily, with schizophrenic, flaky servers (yum and
up2date seem to frequently disagree).

Apropos of nothing, Sarge RAID support seems to be broken, too. Some
unfortunate interaction between udev/mdadm. Sure there's some workaround, but
some more water on the mills of local "Linux sucks" drones. It'd require a
real Linux expert to whoop their asses, but of course they're far too cheap
for that.

> He shipped it all the way to Hawaii.  I shipped it back after I had my
> way with it.  Obstensibly, this was about getting the (internal) Atheros
> card working.  There was healthy, thriving mold of BS about "atheros
> just doesn't work", etc., surrounding the thing.
>
> Turns out it works fine, of course.
>
> This was the second time in my life I've been hands-on on a SuSe box.
> Redhat doesn't impress me either.  Distros: yawn.

Yes, about the only one which I like is Debian (and derived, pace, Ubuntu).

> You might want to reconsider worrying if only because today's
> "unmaintained SuSe box" is tomorrows Win95 nightmare horde equivalent.

Not in terms of raw numbers (fraction of live address space). Legacy boxes
getting 0wn3d should be negligible. Sure they can do a lot of damage, since
most likely on a good connection; but then so can Windows "servers". Most
hosters now offer Windows servers as an option.