Jim Thompson jim@netgate.com
Fri Feb 4 13:26:07 PST 2005

Aaron Burt wrote:

> Embedded systems generally do not run Linux.

My car's MP3 player runs linux (phat noise).
My 802.11 AP runs linux (many do, but mine puts out a
FCC-legal/certified 36dBm EIRP).
My home router runs ... freebsd (m0n0wall).

> A bulk of the ones that do run Linux will be developed carefully for
> large-scale production (e.g. Tivo, Linksys).

You seem to be missing the point that the leverage that the masses found
in these two devices was originally gained via "expolits",  In the case
of the wrt54g, it was being able to execute shell code via "Ping.asp"
that originally pryed open the device, long before Linksys finally
decided to comply with the GPL.

With the Tivo, they just yanked the drive and started looking at the data.