Aaron Burt aaron@bavariati.org
Fri Feb 4 13:05:22 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:19:39PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Aaron Burt (aaron@bavariati.org):
>
> > Why, yes.  A Friend Of Mine is working for a small company that's
> > developing a Linux-based appliance running on a slightly-disguised PC.
> > <snip> Needless to say, the firewall was one of the first features
> > to go, and automated updates are out of the question.
>
> Which shows that there's still some market for cheap throwaway sh__ that
> breaks.  PNG at 11.

There is *always* a market for the cheapest equipment possible to do a
job.  Whether you call it disruptive technology or bottom-feeding,
it's the direction markets seem to flow.

> You think that generalises to embedded systems generally?  Doubt it.

Embedded systems generally do not run Linux.

A bulk of the ones that do run Linux will be developed carefully for
large-scale production (e.g. Tivo, Linksys).  My point is that the
remainder, out in the Long Tail, will be built in a rush by folks with
very little grasp of good security practice.

And if what I'm observing here in PDX holds generally, there are a
lot of garage-shops working hard at pushing out li'l improvised
exploitive devices like the one I described.

--
if (!cost_analysis) goto darwinism;
  -- Mike Galbraith