Jim Thompson jim@netgate.com
Fri Feb 4 12:34:20 PST 2005

Aaron Burt wrote:

> Not that I'm terribly worried.  Why hassle with an J. Average
> Unmaintained SuSE box when there's hordes of trivially-compromised
> Winders PCs out there?

Ya know, I just finished 'fixing' an "Unmaintained SuSe box" (notebook)
for a friend (where others had failed, or hadn't had the time, or whatever).

He shipped it all the way to Hawaii.  I shipped it back after I had my
way with it.  Obstensibly, this was about getting the (internal) Atheros
card working.  There was healthy, thriving mold of BS about "atheros
just doesn't work", etc., surrounding the thing.

Turns out it works fine, of course.

This was the second time in my life I've been hands-on on a SuSe box.
Redhat doesn't impress me either.  Distros: yawn.

You might want to reconsider worrying if only because today's
"unmaintained SuSe box" is tomorrows Win95 nightmare horde equivalent.

"Software rots", and all that noise.