Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Fri Feb 4 06:06:15 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:37:48AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> Indeedy, clients of Papa Darwin will always be with us.

Would the notebook explode, littering the hapless user with shrapnel?
Will katana-wielding sysadmins burst into the cube, and lop off his
head, for the crime of being 0wn3d? Would he, at least, be fired, and
escorted by armed security off-campus?

No, in all cases. If the machine had been compromised (and the fact
detected, a rather large if in most corporate environments), the blame would
be put squarely on "Linux" (not "RedHat 9", "Linux". I'm seeing this every
day, it's an issue of predominant culture, and blame assignment politics).

So, unfortunately, the fitness function amplitude is such it is competely
dwarfed by noise.