Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 4 00:37:48 PST 2005

Quoting Tom Duffy (tomduffy@dslextreme.com):

> A coworker today asked me about getting a serial line working on his
> docking bar of his laptop running *unpatched* newly installed RH 9 (this
> is brand new ACER laptop).  I went into his office and noticed a yellow
> sticky taped to laptop which had written on it a listing of iptables
> commands (stuff like iptables -F).  I asked this guy what these were
> for, and he said he was having trouble connecting using some *cough*
> proprietary software and another guy told him to run these commands to
> fix it.
>
> Fucking Brilliant.

Indeedy, clients of Papa Darwin will always be with us.

> * Rick, feel free not to respond if you don't want to be in this
> discussion.

No, I'm here for you, man.  It's a California thing, you know:
Thanks for sharing.

But your anecdote puts me in mind of why it's RH9/8/7.x that inevitably
figures in such stories:  Given the aforementioned EOLing of pre-RHEL
versions, a certain class of user (especially in North America) has been
left generally rudderless, where they're inclined to gravitate towards
Red Hat (either because it's all they've heard of, it's specified by
some proprietary software package, or for other reasons) but are too
cheap to buy RHEL and are scared by Fedora Core.

They don't know where else to go:  If they've heard of RHEL rebuilds at
all, it's generally only White Box Linux, which has maintenance problems
(one maintainer => single point of failure).  They lack sufficient clue
to have heard of CentOS or Scientific Linux, not to mention initiative.

So, they end up sticking with RH9 and prior.

We can't prevent people like that from hurting themselves, but we can be
there to suggest what _else_ they should try when it blows up.

--
Cheers,                           "This is Unix.  Stop acting so helpless."
Rick Moen                                               -- D.J. Bernstein