[linux-elitists] Computer Lab Management conference (fwd from pjw2@CORNELL.EDU)

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Thu Feb 3 19:35:59 PST 2005

In the immortal words of Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org>:
> ----- Forwarded message from Pat Washburn <pjw2@CORNELL.EDU> -----
>
> From: Pat Washburn <pjw2@CORNELL.EDU>
> Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:24:23 -0500
> To: MACENTERPRISE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
> Subject: Computer Lab Management conference
>
> We are pleased to announce that the 6th annual Computer Lab Management
> Conference, commonly known as LabMan, will be held at Cornell University on
> Tuesday, June 21 and Wednesday, June 22, 2005.
>
> LabMan was conceived as a casual, small scale, inexpensive, intimate
> conference intended for persons who manage, supervise or are otherwise
> involved with maintaining computing labs in higher education, K-12 or
> library facilities.

Of interest on the K-12 frontier (and possibly beyond) ...

	http://schooltool.org

My buddy Tom Hoffman is working on this project for Mark Shuttleworth
(yes, the Ububtu guy.) It's to be a school admin tool written in Python
using the Zope 3 component architecture and the Twisted framework.

Part of schooltool is almost ready for people to start using today. It's
the SchoolBell calendar server:

	http://schooltool.org/schoolbell

This is "a version of SchoolTool that is simplified and modified for
handling calendaring for organizations that are not schools."

SchoolBell allows users to manage their personal calendars, group
calendars and calendars for resources, e.g., rooms, projectors, etc, via
a web interface, or using an iCalendar compliant client such as Mozilla
calendar or iCal.

For Debian /unstable (and, presumably, Ubuntu):

# apt-get install schoolbell

--
/home/modus/.signature