Tom Duffy tomduffy@dslextreme.com
Thu Feb 3 18:31:08 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 14:02 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Tom Duffy (tomduffy@dslextreme.com):
>
> > During install, you can choose to turn firewalling on or off.  I doubt
> > the commercial software requires it, but many people disable the
> > firewall so they can *telnet* in...don't get me started.
>
> [with exaggerated patience]

Jeez, thanks for keeping with me, man.

> Tom, I'm minutely familiar with the anaconda installer.  Being also
> clear on the meanings of "default" and "deliberate" strikes me as giving
> me an additional leg up, but no matter:  More to the immediate point,
> you seem to persist in ignoring the context of this discussion.  I can
> only conclude that this is some sort of performance art.

More performance art*:

A coworker today asked me about getting a serial line working on his
docking bar of his laptop running *unpatched* newly installed RH 9 (this
is brand new ACER laptop).  I went into his office and noticed a yellow
sticky taped to laptop which had written on it a listing of iptables
commands (stuff like iptables -F).  I asked this guy what these were
for, and he said he was having trouble connecting using some *cough*
proprietary software and another guy told him to run these commands to
fix it.

Fucking Brilliant.

-tduffy

* Rick, feel free not to respond if you don't want to be in this
discussion.