[linux-elitists] Computer Lab Management conference (fwd from pjw2@CORNELL.EDU)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Feb 3 13:11:25 PST 2005

----- Forwarded message from Pat Washburn <pjw2@CORNELL.EDU> -----

From: Pat Washburn <pjw2@CORNELL.EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:24:23 -0500
To: MACENTERPRISE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Computer Lab Management conference

We are pleased to announce that the 6th annual Computer Lab Management
Conference, commonly known as LabMan, will be held at Cornell University on
Tuesday, June 21 and Wednesday, June 22, 2005.

LabMan was conceived as a casual, small scale, inexpensive, intimate
conference intended for persons who manage, supervise or are otherwise
involved with maintaining computing labs in higher education, K-12 or
library facilities.

Attendees will have the opportunity to meet colleagues from other
institutions who, like them, face various challenges in putting together
resilient, robust, academic computing labs. The conference features a
two-day series of presentations and discussions covering a range of current
lab management topics.

Because of the low-key nature of the conference, there is ample time for
questions and answers during and after the presentation. Frequently, the
discussions extend beyond the presenter and the attendees to an exchange
among the attendees themselves. Moreover, themed breakout groups add to the
exchange of ideas. Many people find this "cross-pollination" to be very
valuable.

This year's conference has moved to the Northeast in the hope that we can
encourage more participation from the region while maintaining the strong
base of attendees from the Midwest.  We feel that the value of the
conference will continue to persuade repeat attendance, and as the
conference moves into new areas it will continue to grow and bring in new
people with new ideas to share.

Registration fees for the conference at Cornell are $170.  Included in the
registration are an evening reception on Monday June 20, a buffet breakfast
and lunch each day of the conference, a picnic dinner at scenic Taughannock
Falls State Park Tuesday evening, and 2 days of presentations and
information focused entirely on computer lab management.

On-campus housing will be available for $52 per night for a single and $38
per night for double occupancy.  This dorm was opened in 2002, is fully air
conditioned, and is conveniently located adjacent to the conference center.

We hope to see many old friends from previous LabMan conferences, and many
new attendees, too.  Cornell has been represented at every LabMan so far,
so we clearly feel that the knowledge and contacts made are well worth the
price.  Please consider joining us, and also please pass this invitation
along to anyone you know who may be interested.

LabMan VI information and registration forms are on the web at:

<http://labmanconference.org/>http://labmanconference.<http://labmanconference.org/>org

Pat Washburn
Public Computing Manager
120 Maple Ave Room G-35