Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 3 00:16:29 PST 2005

Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

> Note too:  embedded systems.

Exposed to hostile networks?  Running every conceivable network daemon
service, _and_ with IP-filtering scripts disabled?

If not, your observation is not very relevant to antecedent discussion.
If it _is_ what you mean, then I don't buy it.  E.g., my TiVo is an
embedded Linux box, but runs only extremely minimal services, e.g, it
occasionally pops up a small httpd written in tcl, when needed for
receiving program updates.  Plus it gets software updates pushed out to
it.

Other embedded systems will tend to be even more minimal, and in most
cases will run from non-volatile media.

> [...]  Turns out that Linksys firewall/router was a few firmware revs
> out of date, though it may also have had a hardware fault.

Certainly a problem, but did it become root-compromised?  Thought not.

Abuse of unmaintained/vulnerable systems without root compromise is
probably a useful discussion -- but it's not the same as this one.

Remainder of the quoted text that you attributed to me was -not- from
any of my posts.  Please watch your attributions.