Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 2 23:47:40 PST 2005

on Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:55:59AM -0800, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting Etienne Goyer (etienne.goyer@videotron.ca):
>
> > I can definitely see how such a system could end up on the Internet.  J.
> > Random Linux Sysadmin is hired to build a system to do xyz (email, web,
> > file server, whatever).  Of course, he use whichever Linux distro is
> > current at the moment.
>
> Yes, but these were new systems built and deployed in _December 2004_.
> This isn't a case of maintenance silently breaking when the admin wasn't
> paying attention:  RH 9 and 7.3 were already fossils.

Um.  They were deployed as part of the honeypot test, no?  In which case
there's a useful service being performed (even if not crystal clear in
the report) that EOLd systems are _not_ Internet-safe.

While the Redmond FUDsters are sure to spin this as "GNU/Linux Bad
Communist Software Evil!", it's also useful marketing duff for
$PROPRIETARY_LINUX_FIRM or $FLOSS_VAR who wants to imprint just how
vital keeping public-facing systems current is.

> > Thanks $deity for iptables.
>
> Indeed, you'll note that the Honeypot Project "study" actually had to
> deliberately, manually sabotage the RH 9 / 7.3 iptables scripts, to
> achieve the results they did.

Interesting.

Peace.

    KQED FM:  The DUMB spot on the dial: